Configuration Management Strategy
The Configuration Management Strategy template reflects the steps set out in the PRINCE2 Method and is designed to prompt the Project Manager and help in the creation of the Configuration Management Strategy. There is also a Product Description for the Configuration Management Strategy at Appendix A of the PRINCE2 Manual.
Once your Configuration Management Strategy is complete check the document against the following Quality Criteria:
- Responsibilities are clear and understood by both user and supplier
- The key identifier for the project product(s) is defined
- The method and circumstances of version control are clear
- The strategy provides the Project Manager with all the product information required
- The corporate or programme strategy for configuration management has been considered
- The retrieval system will produce all required information in an accurate, timely and usable manner
- The project files provide the information necessary for any audit requirements
- The project files provide the historical records required to support any lessons
- The chosen Configuration Management Strategy is appropriate for the size and nature of the project
- Resources are in place to administer the chosen method of configuration management
- The requirements of the operational group (or similar group to whom the project product will be transitioned) should be considered.