A change control approach is used to identify, assess and control any potential and approved changes to the project baselines to protect the project’s products. It describes the procedures, techniques and standards to be applied and the responsibilities for achieving an effective issue management and change control procedure.
The following criteria apply to a change control approach:
- Responsibilities are clear and understood by both user and supplier.
- The issue management and change control procedure is clearly documented and can be understood by all parties.
- The chosen change control approach is appropriate for the size and nature of the project.
- Scales are clear and unambiguous.
- The scales are appropriate for the level of control required.
- Reporting requirements are fully defined.
- Resources are in place to administer the chosen method of change control.