The Exception Report template reflects the steps set out in the PRINCE2 Method and is designed to prompt the Project Manager and help in the creation of the Exception Report. There is also a Product Description for the Exception Report at Appendix A of the PRINCE2 Manual.
Once your Exception Report is complete check the document against the following Quality Criteria:
- The current plan must accurately show the status of time and cost performance
- The reason(s) for the deviation must be stated, the exception clearly analysed, and any impacts assessed and fully described
- Implications for the Business Case have been considered and the impact on the overall Project Plan has been calculated
- Options are analyzed (including any risks associated with them) and recommendations are made for the most appropriate way to proceed
- The Exception Report is given in a timely and appropriate manner.